Composition : Clopidogrel Tablets
Clopidogrel is used to prevent heart attacks and strokes in persons with heart disease, recent stroke, or blood circulation disease. It is also used with aspirin to treat new/worsening chest pain and to keep blood vessels open and prevent blood clots after certain procedures (such as cardiac stent). Clopidogrel works by blocking platelets from sticking together and prevents them from forming harmful clots. It is an antiplatelet drug. It helps keep blood flowing smoothly in your body. Clopidogrel is also sometimes used to prevent blood clots in people with atrial fibrillation (a condition in which the heart beats irregularly).
Clopidogrel is indicated in:
- Adult patients suffering from myocardial infarction (from a few days until less than 35 days), ischaemic stroke (from 7 days until less than 6 months) or established peripheral arterial disease.
- Adult patients suffering from acute coronary syndrome:
– Non-ST segment elevation acute coronary syndrome (unstable angina or non-Q-wave myocardial infarction), including patients undergoing a stent placement following percutaneous coronary intervention, in combination with acetylsalicylic acid (ASA).
– ST segment elevation acute myocardial infarction, in combination with ASA in medically treated patients eligible for thrombolytic therapy.
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or to any excipients .
- Severe hepatic impairment.
- Active pathological bleeding such as peptic ulcer or intracranial haemorrhage.
Side effects :
- stomach pain.
- indigestion or heartburn.
Clopidogrel is a prodrug of a platelet inhibitor used to reduce the risk of myocardial infarction and stroke. It has a long duration of action as it is taken once daily and a large therapeutic window as it is given in doses of 75-300mg daily.
Mechanism of action :
Clopidogrel is metabolized to its active form by carboxylesterase-1.The active form is a platelet inhibitor that irreversibly binds to P2Y12 ADP receptors on platelets. This binding prevents ADP binding to P2Y12 receptors, activation of the glycoprotein GPIIb/IIIa complex, and platelet aggregation.
Store clopidogrel at room temperature near 77°F (25°C). It can be stored for a short time at a temperature between 59ºF and 86°F (15ºC and 30°C). Don’t store this medication in moist or damp areas.